Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Mushroom Risotto

Honestly, this little cooking phase I have going on might last longer than my typical phases.  And I'm okay with that. 
 
And just as a disclaimer, I'm not becoming a food blogger by any means.  It just seems to be the current highlight and topic of discussion at our house.  Otherwise all I'd be talking about day in and day out is my job....how many emails I sent, how many documents completed and filed....that sort of thing.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great job and I am so grateful for it.  But probably not the most exciting stuff to fill this ol' family blog full of.
 
Anyway, back to the food.  I first tried Risotto a couple of months back when some friends of ours had us over for dinner.  She made a butternut squash risotto full of goat cheese and bacon and it was incredible!  It was love at first bite. ;)  But seriously, it was like heaven.  So naturally, I decided to try my hand at it.  I made a recipe similar to hers and though the end result was tasty, the process was a disaster.  It tooke me some 3+ hours to make that dang Risotto.  Not sure why it took that long but I decided that I wasn't cut out for Risotto.
 
Well, in planning my menu last week I stumbled upon a yummy Mushroom Risotto and decided I'd give it a try again.  And this time it was so easy! Took me about 45 minutes start to finish and it turned out super yummy!  I guess it's all in the way the liquid is added and making sure the rice has absorbed each portion before adding more.  Anyway, another recipe that I am dying to make again!
 



Mushroom Risotto
from Martha Stewart
 
>> 3 quarts water
>> 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
>> 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
** I had a hard time finding the dried porcini mushrooms so I substituted vegetable broth and let the peppercorns simmer in it for about 30 minutes and that seemed to work.**
>> 1 stick unsalted butter
>> 8 ounces mixed fresh mushrooms **I am going to double or maybe even triple this next time. I love me some mushrooms.**
>> 1 medium onion, finely chopped
>> Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
>> 2 cups Arborio Rice
>> 1 cup dry white wine
>> 1 cup grate Parmesan cheese
>> Garnish: shaved Parmesan cheese
 
1.  Bring water, dried porcini mushrooms, and peppercorns to a boil in a medium pot.  Reduce heat, and simmer gently for 1 hour.  Strain stock (you should have 7 to 8 cups); discard solids.  Return to pot; cover to keep warm.  **Substitute with 8 cups vegetable broth and simmer with peppercorns for 30 minutes**
 
2.  Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Cook mixed mushrooms until tender and slightly browned all over, about 3 minutes; transfer to a plate.
 
3.  Melt 3 tablespoons butter in saucepan over medium heat.  Cook onion until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.  Season with salt.  Stir in rice, and cook until coated, 1 to 2 minutes.  Add wine, and cook until almost completely absorbed, 3 to 4 minutes.
 
4.  Ladle 1 cup reserved stock over riced, and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until almost completely absorbed.  Continue adding stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly and waiting for each addition to be almost completely absorbed before adding the next, until grains are al dente (firm but not crunchy) about 30 minutes.  You'll probably only use 6 to 7 cups stock.  Add remaining stock to loosen risotto, if desired.
 
5.  Remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper.  Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons butter and the grated Parmesan.  Top risotto with sauteed mushrooms (reheat if necessary), and garnish with shaved Parmesan. 
 
ENJOY! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...