Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Potato Corn Chowder

As you can see, I'm going through somewhat of a cooking phase.  Not sure how it started but I do know Preston is happy about this current obsession.  And I'm happy because I feel like I'm being a better wife by making a homemade dinner a couple nights a week.  Too bad for both of us that these phases don't last forever. 

This soup was packed full of flavor.  I will definitely make it again but next time I think I would only do half as much cayenne pepper as it calls for. It was a bit on the spicy side.  I also think it would be pretty tasty with a little sausage mixed in.  But it was perfect for the cooler Fall weather we have been having! 

**And I just re-read the recipe and I totally made it wrong.  I wondered why my soup was such a dark red when the picture that I saw of this same recipe showed more of a white, creamy color.  Well.....I added all of the Creole seasoning mixture, instead of the 1 1/2 tsp that the recipe calls for.  So it shouldn't have been as spicy as it was and when I make it next I'm sure it will have just a hint of flavor rather than pack such a hefty punch.  Our stomachs are hurting over here, to say the least. This is a classic Sydney move in the kitchen.  Preston got a kick (and a stomach ache) out of that one! Maybe this phase should end sooner rather than later after all..... Without further adieu, the Potato Corn Chowder. Expect yours to look different than the picture below. ;)


Potato Corn Chowder
from Damn Delicious

>> 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
>> 1 large leek, thinly sliced
>> 1 large red bell pepper, diced
>> 2 cups milk
>> 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
>> 3 cups vegetable broth
>> 2 cups roasted corn kernels
>> 2 pounds red potatoes, cubed
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons Emeril's Essence Creole Seasoning
>> 3/4 teaspoon thyme
>> 3/4 teaspoon salt
>> Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
>> Parmesan cheese, for topping

For Emeril's Essence Creole Seasoning:
>> 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
>> 2 tablespoons garlic powder
>> 2 tablespoons salt
>> 1 tablespoon onion powder
>> 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
>> 1 tablespoon oregano
>> 1 tablespoon thyme
>> 1 tablespoon black pepper

Instructions
1. To make Emeril's Essence, combine paprika, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme and pepper; set aside.

2. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.  Add leeks and bell pepper and cook stirring occasionally until tender.  Gradually whisk in milk and flour, and cook, whisking constantly until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes.  Stir in vegetable broth, corn kernels, potatoes, Emeril's Essence (1 1/2 tsp), thyme, and salt.

3. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20-30 minutes.  

Serve immediately, garnish with chives and parmesan cheese.

ENJOY! And make sure not to add too much creole seasoning....xoxo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...