Wednesday, July 31, 2013

project clean house


Like most people, I love a good, clean house.  I feel like in order to relax, all of the housework has to be done.  But if you are like me, that is never the case!  There is always something that needs done and the work is never complete.

Several weeks ago, I came across a cute girl on Instagram that had the most darling kitchen.  White cabinets, subway tile backsplash, cute accessories - the whole bit.  And of course, it was clean as a whistle.  Cute AND clean?!? How does she do it??  Well, as I began to read through her comments I learned very quickly that once a week, she and her children leave the house for a couple of hours and while she is gone, a cute little lady comes into the house and cleans. She and the kids then come back to a sparkly, clean house.  HA! I knew I had been missing something all of this time! That's why my house is never as clean as I want it to be, I thought.  For a minute there, I completely threw in the towel on ever having the house I see in my mind that is neat and tidy and clean as can be because I don't have a cleaning lady.

But then it occurred to me just how silly that thought was.  A cleaning lady doesn't fit into our budget and the whole reason our house isn't as clean as it always should be is because of our own choices.  A lot of the time we are just plain lazy. We see those dishes stacking up in the sink and we run the other way.  (I by no means think cleaning ladies are bad, by the way. I admit, at times it would be nice to have one!).  I have become a "binge cleaner".  I put off all of my cleaning until Saturday (as you will remember from this post).  But that is absolutely the worst possible thing to do on your day off, in my opinion!  Who wants to spend all day cleaning when you finally have the day off?  Not me, that's for sure. 

So I came up with a solution.  Project Clean House.  Cheesy as it may sound, it has started to do wonders for our little house.  At the very most it takes about 30-45 minutes to complete each day.  And in my opinion, that is way better than wasting a whole Saturday.  


 Since that's hard to see, here's what the list includes:
  • Monday: Front Room. 
    • dust. fluff pillows. vacuum. tidy.
  • Tuesday: Kitchen
    • dishes. scrub counter. mop & vacuum floors. tidy
  • Wednesday: Downstairs Bathroom
    • clean mirror. scrub counter. vacuum & mop floors. clean shower & toilet. tidy
  • Thursday: Master Bedroom
    • wash sheets. dust. vacuum. organize drawers & closets. tidy.
  • Friday: Laundry/Pantry
    • wash & fold clothes. vacuum. clean surfaces. tidy.
  • Saturday: Upstairs
    • vacuum. wash sheets. clean counters, toilet, & shower. tidy. RELAX!
  • Sunday: REST!
*Everyday: do the dishes, put shoes away, make bed, put clothes in the hamper, etc.

Since it's just Preston and I, we just split up each day's work between the two of us.  If you have kids, even better! Less work for everyone.  Here's to keeping a clean house! 

2 comments:

  1. Love it!! I recently did something similar to this because Rick is out of town for a month and I needed something to keep me busy in the evenings after work. It's awesome and like you said, it is SO nice not to have to clean the entire house on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to stick to a routine....my house is complete chaos most of the time. It makes me really grumpy! I keep waiting for the time when Aubrey's occupied, or I have the house to myself...and I'm learning that just isn't going to happen! So I got to stick to a routine! I'm going to try this. Thanks Sydney!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...