Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Hawaii: Day 1

At the end of May, Preston and I went to to Hawaii with my family.  It was both of our first times and we had an absolute blast.  We were there for a total of 10 days.  To make things a bit easier on myself, I'm going to break our trip down by day instead of trying to cram everything into one long post. 
 
We landed in Honolulu, Hawaii on Friday, May 23rd after a six hour flight.  Call me crazy but I sort of love long flights.  It gives me an excuse to sit and do NOTHING.  I absolutely live for time that can be devoted to just sitting and catching up on reading.  So that's what I did.  I read the whole way there and finally was able to finish the Divergent series.  Soooo glad to have that out of the way for the trip.  In case you haven't noticed by my previous posts, I wasn't a huge fan of that series.


 
My parents and Emily flew out to Hawaii a few days before us so they picked us up from the airport.  They surprised us with leis which was one of the things I was most excited about.  It seems like every movie I have ever seen about Hawaii has always shown the characters getting leis upon their arrival.  Thanks to Emily, those dreams of mine came true. :)
 

 
We arrived around 2pm Hawaii time so the first thing we did was head on up to the Dole Pineapple Plantation.  It was a little overcast and rainy so we didn't spend a whole lot of time there but we did take the train ride.  It was so fun to see everything they grow there besides just pineapples.  By far my favorite part of the Pineapple Plantation were the Dole Whips.  I wasn't sure if they would really be all that good.  I mean, I've heard people love them but I just wasn't sure.  But, OH. MY. GOSH.  They are the best thing EVER!  I could eat them everyday.  They were worth the money.  Unlike everything else in the gift shop that was incredibly overpriced. 
 
 
Pretty trees and red pineapples!
 



 After the Dole Plantation, we checked into our beach house.  The whole family (14 altogether!) stayed together in the beach house which was a lot of fun.  We were literally right on the beach! We stayed in Pupukea.  It's on the North Shore right by the Banzai Pipleline, Waimeia Bay, and the cute
little town of Haleiwa.  I could not have picked a more perfect location. 
 
We didn't do a whole lot that first day because of the jet lag that most of us were feeling.  We ordered pizza from Bob's Pizza in Haleiwa for dinner.  By the way, I don't recommend that place at all.  It was like $30 for one pizza and it was nothing special.  Our frozen Costco pizzas were WAY better and like half the price. Anyway, by 7pm most all of us were ready for bed.  It was the craziest thing! But I guess that's what happens with a four hour time difference.  Speaking of bed, I LOVED being able to hear the crashing of the waves every night as a lay in bed.  It was so relaxing.  Most nights we had thunderstorms as well.  So that, combined with the sound of the ocean, was the best thing ever!  I loved it.

Well, that was our first day!  Stay tuned for the rest of our trip!
xoxo, Syd

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...